A Nigeria Police Man can never be my friend in this life…


I had in mind to put away this topic after my wonderful experience one hot Friday afternoon. But I had a change of mind after I listened keenly to the conversation of some young men and women at a restaurant. The topic of their discussion was the Nigeria Police. For the 30minutes I stayed back i.e. including the time I relaxed to allow the meal do its duty and my teeth picking session (smiles), the young people had nothing good to say! All that rang out was about extra judicial killings, bribery, brutalization of civilians and so on. Hence, my reason for resurrecting this article – if you want to see it so.

In life, we are bound to find people with different beliefs or fixed mindsets about phenomena in life, about realities you as an individual perceives differently, especially when such is based on the notions of “Good” and “Bad”. Sometimes we fail to realise that such stance can be the direct consequence of an experience that underscores a previous idea about a being or reality as it were – even if it’s based on hear-say.

The above opener is apt for the content of this post as I write with all bitterness as I begin to think about all individuals in black clothing’s, individuals regarded as social peacekeepers in Nigeria – the Nigeria Police Force. Indirect experiences are easily reversible when compared to direct ones, just like its difficult to convince a child stung by bees that bees can be friendly, don’t sting or that some bee stings are not painful. How ever it should be noted that this article does not in any way seek to rubbish the Nigeria Police Force, as its rank and file does, but aims at bringing to the fore the ugly trend that needs to be checked if the police is to maintain its sense of dignity in the minds of Nigerians. I know there are fine men and women in the force but it’s not enough.

I grew up with this idea of a corrupt unfriendly idea about the Nigeria Police and today am over 30 and that view hasn’t changed and may not change; the 14th day of October 2011 appears to further consolidate that feelings, hence my position – that the Nigeria Police can and will never be regarded as my friend until some miracle changes that! I state this with all anger and repulsive feelings… unfortunately it will remain on this blog page like countless right up on social injustices that were never acted upon by the authorities concerned. But I believe its better put out there than leaving it hidden in the darkroom of the heart.

On the said date stated above, as I was coming back from the office there was traffic jam on the road – close to Area 8 junction as you are heading towards the Nigeria Army Headquarters in Abuja from Nigeria Police Command axis. Suddenly impatient drivers – a trend now part of the driving culture in Nigeria – began leaving the road driving through the pedestrian paths. I and other pedestrians gave them way where we can, but I noticed they horned irrationally when we get to points where bushes grow so much as to make the paths narrow. One horned loudly behind me and I cautioned him to slow down – after all he was breaking the law driving off-road – or so I thought because the next event was to serve as an example of a country why the big shots or those bestowed with some level of power break the law and get away with it while the ordinary person suffers for breaking same law.

To continue, as I got to the next narrow part of same path a cab horned impatiently behind me again. I stood my ground telling him he was wrong. On getting to a wider spot where I passed an owl eye shaped illiterate who showed no sign of having been suckled, ever, snarled at me asking me “what was wrong” with me. Probably I lost it for not following the maxim, “silence the best answer for a fool”. I talked back telling him he is ill for asking such irrational question.

Just as I ended, the cab stopped and the man about 5ft 9” – myself 5ft 7” –  alighted with handcuffs asking me if I was stupid and asking who I was to block the way… he was a cop, something that infuriated me the more. I retorted asking him if he intends to cow me with the threat of arrest when am right and he a law keeper wrong? To that, he dealt a blow to my jaw in a bid to shut me up. That did not help either because I stood up to his face telling him how unfortunate it was for him to even make the world know he is a cop while helping a cabbie break traffic rule. He dealt a second blow threatening to arrest me. As it is with Nigeria culture of cowardice these says others stood aloof while the big dudes stuck in traffic sat in their air-conditioned cars watching as a man on foot was trying to prevent other drivers from causing further gridlock. In fact, that act is what has stalled Nigeria after over 50 years, as we are afraid to fight for our right. Only a fellow young passer by came around to ask me to let the situation die. If not for restraint and for the fact that I understood I was more civil than the brute I would have slapped back and damned the consequences as I fear no man. In deed I don’t. The worst he would have done was to call fellow crooks to take me in on false charges. I told the so called cop how its appalling that he acted the way he did and that it was a shame to government. He did not alight again as I walked back to him telling him how his action stunk and how uncivilized he was – probably he was ashamed his intimidation did not work. Yes one might be correct to say he is following the footsteps of his superiors etc who intimidate other road users with sirens because they failed to instil discipline in drivers in the first place by conducting proper driving tests – through the traffic regulatory unit of the force i.e. like Road Safety and Vehicle Inspection Unit if am not wrong.

The above raises a fundamental question for us all, if we really want to build a country where law and order prevails or where some use the law as tool for oppression as the brute above did. It also questions the criteria for enlistment into the country’s military, police and paramilitary institutions etc and whether they are properly orientated on the rules of engagement with the civilian population. It is a shame for law enforcers to be law breakers. Or what can one say about a police man sitting in a bus parked at a no-parking zone looking for commuters when he should be the one making sure such an act is not executed as it were? What moral justification does such an individual have to ask other drivers with no Police-Father not to park there?

You see, until we start pressing for change in our own little corners change on wider scale will continue to elude us a people. Until we start insisting that round pegs be fit into round holes, contrary to the norm of today, this country will continue to reek of corruption and impunity - ad infinitum. With such act as cited above from personal experience, how do you intend to encourage the ordinary Nigerian to embrace the idea of making the police man his friend? After the accidental discharges, that has seen many in graves because of N20 naira, or the unjust incarceration of many without cases? It is not possible. Even a visit to the police station is enough to make any Nigerian to fast against having any deals with the police, good or bad, or why do you think people don’t volunteer information on crime easily? Simple! They fear what may happen next.

That man clearly stepped on my right to freedom in accordance to Section 34 (1a) of the Constitution of the federal Republic of Nigeria on Human Rights by torturing me in public thereby violating my dignity and by preventing me from moving freely after a hard day’s job with the help of his fellow uncivilised cab driver. What a lot indeed. Of course, we never drafted the constitution together, right? Even though it begins with “we the people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria: having firmly and solemnly resolved…”

To conclude, it behoves the government of this country to take measures towards making the Nigerian citizen build faith in the Nigeria Police. Men and women of right standing, thoroughly breed in a civil way should only find their way into the force as the police represents the civil authority of government and is typically responsible for maintaining public order and safety; not brutalizing someone who knows and intends to stand on his rights at all cost. I hope this post generates appropriate reactions and I hope well meaning Nigerians campaign for change in this country. Thanks for taking out time to read.

Do re-share this blog with your friends using any of the social widgets.
You can also subscribe for updates so you never miss another post. Simply subscribe for our rss emails or  Bookmark us on your browser if you wish.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Comments