Having difficulty with your wireless connection and don’t know how else to turn your wireless on?



Mr John bought a new laptop. His new acquisition however brought him sadness from the very first day. Firstly, he got soaked in a torrential rainfall only to discover he left his laptop receipt in his breast pocket and not his laptop bag. This meant he had no receipt anymore as it was torn to shreds. Unknown to him his nightmare was not over just yet.


The next two days were to make him even mad the more with his laptop.
Returning home one sunny afternoon, Mr John having no clue that his savvy nephew had used his new computer decides to use his laptops wireless to connect to his neighbourhoods wireless internet network. He pressed the wireless device’ button, the LED was blinking, yet no connectivity. Out of frustration, he slammed the laptop on the table then flung it out of the window.


When asked his reasons, Mr John replied, “not only did I buy that useless laptop $10 more than the actual price, I got drenched and lost my receipt and then the damn stuff wouldn’t connect me to the internet.
I bet someone reading this post has had such an experience, thinking “oh! What did I press that I cannot recall, to make this wireless device connect to a network?” Today I have a tip for you. If you are running windows 7 then not this tip. I run Windows 7 Ultimate on my machine.


Should you ever want to use a computer running Windows 7 and you experience what our friend john did experience, there is just one place to look. A blinking LED only tells you you’ve enabled wireless by pressing the button. But wireless connection can be disabled via windows environment. This may or may not sound new to some who are good with computers.


How to turn your wireless adapter on and on from windows


I stumbled on how to enable and disable my wireless from windows os by chance. I wanted to check how long my battery would carry me after an outage when I somehow right clicked on my battery’s icon at the task bar, an action that revealed something I never knew existed – the Windows Mobility Centre. To turn your wireless adapter on or off from windows 7 OS, all you need do is to follow the steps outlined below:



  1. Move your mouse pointer to your computers battery icon on the task bar and then right click to reveal a list as shown in the image below. You can see the Windows Mobility Centre as selected
  2. Figure 1: showing selected option (Click to enlarge)
  3. Click on the selected link and you will find displayed the contents of the mobility centre where you have the option of turning on and off your wireless adapter as circled in the picture below.


Figure 2: Clicking the button encircled turns your wireless adapter on and off

What this means is that whether your wireless adapter button on your keyboard is on you can’t connect to a network if the button is set to off within your windows OS. Now you know. So when next you want to use a computer and all seem to be fine hardware-wise and you still cannot connect to your wireless network, follow the steps above to see if it’s turned off. If it is on, then proceed to use the trouble-shooter to see where else the problem may be emanating from. Do not let Mr John’s fit get a hold of you. Thank you for reading. Do share this with those who may find it useful.



Was this post interesting or useful? Why don’t you do me a favour, by sharing with those that matter to you – friends, colleagues and family – either by re-twitting this post or page URLhttp://hotgrid.blogspot.com/ or Da-Hotgrid on Twitter or sharing oFacebook

Also, join us on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Also, don’t miss our future posts anymore. Subscribe to our email post feeds or add them to your browser.





Comments